It isn’t the name of a hard rock band. Well, it might be at this point, but that’s not relevant in this context.
A Zero-Day Threat is an attack that takes advantage of a previously unknown vulnerability. Cybercriminals discover a security flaw and write new code to exploit it.
There are a lot of ways to describe the same concept: “Zero-Day Exploit,” “Zero-Day Attack,” and “Zero-Hour Attack.”
What’s the deal with that zero designation? The attack begins without any prior awareness by the product developers – they’re clued in on “Day Zero.”
Why is this kind of threat so dangerous for small and mid-sized businesses? A frequently cited stat: 60% of companies that are hacked go out of business within six months. Without a security patch or guidance on how to minimize exposure, every passing day is an opportunity for infection.
What’s the good news? Zero-Day Threats can be stopped very early under some circumstances. For example, Microsoft has developed a robust set of tooling called Advanced Threat Protection.
With ATP’s Safe Attachments feature, suspicious email attachments are moved into a sandbox environment for testing. Using machine learning, ATP gets progressively better at identifying and eliminating risky attachments – even if the threat was previously unknown.
What is TCG’s approach to cybersecurity?
- Our staff receives rigorous, ongoing cybersecurity training.
- We proactively educate our clients, vendors, and other industry partners.
- We offer our clients a wide variety of security products including Microsoft’s Advanced Threat Protection, SIEM monitoring, Dark Web Scanning, and more.
- We will never have a one-size-fits-all mentality.
- We encrypt data, install patches/updates, and keep antivirus software up-to-date.
- We monitor hardware and software 24/7 for critical errors, viruses, and unusual behavior.
- If there is a data breach, we fix affected systems and restore files and emails from the most recent backup.
Do you have questions about Zero-Day Threats or how to make your business more secure?
Contact us today! We’d love to discuss further!